Improve Your Home’s Value and Safety with Accessible Bathroom Design & Construction
Whether building a new home or remodeling, accessibility is an important factor to consider. Not only does it give those with disabilities and older Americans a more independent life, but it also can improve your home’s value.
Bathroom accessibility design checklist:
- Swing-out doors to accommodate easy wheelchair entry
- Non-slip floors for safety
- Grab bars for easier transfers and to maintain balance
- Reinforced walls for installation of grab bars
- 5 foot square area (required for most wheelchair users to make a 360° turn)
- Chair-height racks, shelves, and cabinets (Chair-height is how far a person using a wheelchair can reach. A front approach is approximately 48 inches. A parallel approach is 54 inches.)
- Lever handled faucets
- Lowered or tilted mirror
- Roll-under vanity top
- Hinged, fold-down seat in shower
- Roll-in shower with no curb
- Hand-held or adjustable shower head
- Bathtub with nonskid strips or surface
- Half-height caregiver doors
- Toilets 17 to 19 inches from floor or wall-mounted toilet
Thanks to Access to Independence for the excellent bathroom accessible bathroom design list.
If you’ve got any other accessible bathroom design tips you’d like to share, contact us.
If you’re thinking of building a new home in Wildwood, Chesterfield or St. Louis or remodeling to make your bathroom more accessible, let Stockell Homes help! With 25 years of experience under our belt, we can successfully navigate you through the necessary decisions including finishes, budget and timeline.
Contact Don Stockell today to discuss your construction or St. Louis custom home at 636-938-5333 or by email.
About Stockell Homes
Since 1986, Stockell Custom Homes & General Contracting, Inc. (http://www.stockellhomes.com) has provided quality construction and remodeling to residential and commercial customers in Chesterfield, Wildwood and throughout the St. Louis area. The Stockell Homes Team specializes in precision craftsmanship, proactive service, practical green building solutions and on-time, on-budget project delivery.
The company is a National Association of Home Builders member, an Energy Star Partner, and holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. In addition, leader Don Stockell is a Building Analyst Professional (Building Performance Institute), LEED Accredited Professional and NAHB Certified Green Professional/Approved Verifier.