Our Building Process
Creating your dream home is an exciting adventure.
As a lasting legacy to you and your family, your custom home needs to be built in a way that will stand the test of time. As you embark on your journey, what should you expect? To help you, we’ve provided a step-by-step overview of the new home process.
With our proven experience, responsive communication and commitment to quality and innovation, you can trust Stockell Custom Homes to turn your dream into reality.
Assembling Your Project Team
To ensure a successful and enjoyable building experience, you need to hire and interview the right people to be on your team. The key members are you (as the owner), the builder, architect, real estate professional and interior designer. These building professionals should be competent and certified, as well as trustworthy and easy to communicate with.
We encourage you to meet with Stockell Custom Homes to discuss your plans, and we can make recommendations for trusted professionals to be on your team.
Once this team is in place, you can expect the process to take 6 months or more from beginning a design to actually moving into your home.
At Stockell, we can help you to understand the key elements that impact your budget, including selecting the right materials and finishes, architectural features and energy efficiency improvements. Everyone on your project team should know what your budget is. It’s then their professional responsibility to plan, design and build the best house possible within that budget.
Determining Your Preferences
Give your architect a place to start in terms of what floor plan and home style you’re looking for. You can search online to find many printable elevations, basic floor plans and other exterior and interior features you like. Based on your preferences, the architect will then create a basic custom design.
Planning and Pre-construction
After your basic design is in place, you and your project team will coordinate a number of planning and pre-construction tasks including:
- Lot characteristics
- Lot location
- Site plan and survey
- Preliminary design (foundation, waterproofing, floor and wall construction, roof framing and insulation)
- Selection of mechanical, energy and plumbing systems
- Selection of exterior and interior finishes
- Cost estimates and bids
- Finalization of your home’s specifications, pricing and contract
Constructing Your Dream Home
The construction phase involves the Stockell Team assisting you with contracting with all trades and suppliers.
- Developing and regularly updating a construction schedule and task list.
- Notifying you and the project team of any challenges due to weather, material delays, excavation issues, etc.
- Completing all phases of construction, ensuring proper installation and that the project is built to plan.
- Providing you with an exceptional custom home using the best building practices and superior craftsmanship.